Wednesday 4 March 2009

Strange feelings


I'm starting to feel sick in my stomach.

Boarding-school training. Shove the emotions to the back of my mind.

I'm supposed to return home in 10 days time. To pack up the house.
And what.
And sell it?
Rent it?
What? The copper price has crashed. Noone has any money.
And what do we do with the servants and the dog? Seriously.
Just cast them aside?!?!

Last time we were home, we already had to tell dad's oldest employee that we didnt need him any longer. 47 years. I felt like a cad. Phiri stood there, jaw clenching, writhing the sinews in his temples. An old man, steeling the tears. His whole life was working for dad.
And now dad was gone..
I went to the bottom verandah afterwards and cried my eyes out. My soul wrenched from my chest as if I didnt deserve to own one.

Oh god. I feel sick.

This has been our home for over 50 years. Built by dad just 2 years after he started his own civil engineering company.
I'm African..
and yet I'm not. But I dont know why I'm not. And I dont know why I dont feel European. My mother is English, Scottish & Irish - my dad Scottish & Dutch Jewish blood, his mother born in South Africa and him too. What does that make me?

This is the only house I've known. I know every inch of it. I've hidden deep in the garden playing hide and seek, hidden so well that noone found me, until I got bored and came to find them.

Sat on the edge of the pool, no armbands, no minder, no-one about... and defying death, taught myself how to swim. I've surfaced beside a snake and experienced walking on water.
I've pushed my pet chicken around in my dolls pram.
Been through curfews, solar eclipses, one party states and new found democracy.
Been taught how to iron by the houseboy.
Watched him polish the floor, dancing with the brush under one foot and the cloth under the other.
Collected caterpillars for the garden boy
Heard sweet African songs long faded in my memory
Crawled deep inside the bougainvillea hedge,
careered high over the trees on my blue swing, made just for me.
Lips and feet black from mulberries.
Fed dreaded pawpaw to the dogs.
Listened to straw coloured fruit bats squabbling in the fig tree.
Come home to blood all over the house when dad was beaten to an inch of his life by bandits.
And woken by the sound of gunshots or sirens, or scary sounds in the dark night;
or slept solidly as my arm rested against the burglar wire, alarm blaring away.

Heard drums playing deep into the night
laughed at my dog catching flying ants in the kitchen
and laughed again each time I returned from boarding school to find the house had shrunk.
Had power cuts, and phone cuts, and water cuts,
Heard Comrade Mr President on the news
And sat in silence whilst dad listened to the BBC.

I've lived and breathed this house. It was the only place in the world where I felt I belonged.
Before the town she was in became this horrid, polluted, dishevelled place. A place noone wanted to be in. Full of uncouth miners paid disgusting salaries which they squirreled away. We sold the company houses and the office and the horses and the plane and the farm...

and now...?

Am I the only one who's heart is screaming?
The others seem nonchalant.
It makes me sick.

Just bring dad back. Thats the solution. Change time. Change it all.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and powerful post. Thank you so much for this.

    And, I'm so sorry for your loss, for all the losses you're having to experience, both your own and the losses of others. It's too much to bear, but you will get through this, you will.

    Thinking of you, sending strength and healing in your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Reya..

    That is so kind of you! Thank you :) You are a special person indeed!! Yeah, I'll get through it. The catharsis of writing will help.

    Big hugs and thanks so much for the strength and healing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my just read this - hope you are doing ok? this is a heartwrenching post indeed - its so hard to let the past go; but you DO have these special memories and no-one can take those away from you EVER; you can return to this house anytime you want in your minds eye too - you know it so well you can walk it in your sleep. I wonder where you are now and how it all went?
    thanks for sharing your special memories with us

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came here from Miranda who is my niece, as she is half German. She also doesn`t know what that makes her, though in her heart she knows she is African and nothing else. With all your memories, you are African, too! And even if everything changes for you now - nothing will be lost. Not your father, not your home. As Val said, you can always return. And you will find a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How powerful! Your post brings tears to my eyes and expresses this painful time in your life. Please know that this feeling of loss will lessen. You will have the beautiful and sometimes painful memories, but you will develop more with time. It is said that "time heals all wounds" and I hope time will be a friend to you. Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your site and I was instantly caught in it! Such powerful feelings! I wish I could reach out and give you a hug! I lost my Dad not long ago and it still feels like yesterday. I don't know when the pain of loss recedes but hopefully it dulls a little with time.You have so much to deal with, I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want mine back too. I am so sorry you are hurting. All is not lost....not all. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys. It is so wonderful to have your support and sorreee that I've taken such an age to comment or to post, for that matter!!!!

    I did try commenting ages back, but it wouldnt accept what I was trying to say!?

    Time to move on.. and blog more... yes... blog. I need to do that!!! I'm doing fine - superficially I'm doing great - inside, its a tough journey. But its one we all have to take..

    Hugs xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write your searing grief so wonderfully!! I am so sorry you are going through this truly soul cracking time and I send you much love. I too am a 'daddy's girl' indeed and it is hard..hard..
    But your writing helps me - a kind of powerful catharsis.
    Please take care of yourself,
    T x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a moving post - where exactly are you in Africa? Lusaka? Or somewhere else.....what a nightmare for you and so evocatively written Lx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there T... thank you for your kind words. yeah. Its f...g hard. And you are so right about the catharsis of writing. I've been totally ignoring it, but thats naughty and I mustnt... Hugs to you on your journey. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi family affairs.. thanks for dropping by. :) :) I was in Zambia.. in the bush and in Ndola... xx

    ReplyDelete